Monday, January 21, 2013

Frozen


It is COLD today.  In fact, we're colder in WI than the folks are in Barrow, AK.  It's nothing record breaking at this point, but I hear we may break a record tonight.  The cold causes me to feel fortunate because despite the challenges which face my family at this time, we do not have to worry if we are going to have a home to live in or warm place to sleep tonight.  We know there will be food on our table and we know that, basically, we'll be okay.

I feel fortunate that my family does not have to count ourselves among the 17,000 (note, 2010 data--report for 2011 and 2012 has not been released yet) folks in WI who are considered homeless.  Currently, the national rate of homelessness is 21 homeless per 10, 000 people in the general population.  A fact which is, frankly, staggering to me considering how wealthy our county is.  In my opinion, NO one in our country should go hungry or not have a place to live considering how, in compared to the rest of the world, rolling in money we are.  I recall, as a Head Start teacher, having more than one child in my classroom who I worried about on the cold days when I knew shelters would be full.  I wondered where these kids would sleep at night and if their bellies would be full after they left my classroom.

Tonight is going to be a cold one.  What will you do to stay warm?  For me, I think it might be an at home movie date with Hubby.

No comments:

Post a Comment