Monday, January 7, 2013

Husbands say the darndest things!


Sometimes the things that come out of my husband's mouth surprise me.  Let me preface this by saying, I consider myself a "people person" and my job requires me to work with people on a daily basis.  I hear a lot of interesting things in a day so there is VERY little that someone could say that might surprise me.   We were discussing my pregnancy weight (almost 30 lbs!) and what I wanted to do about that after little one is born.  Mind you, my husband and I discuss EVERYTHING, so this is not really an odd conversation for us.

My weight has really always been an issue.  Those who love me will say, "No, no!  You were a lovely young lady!"  But the truth is--I was a fat kid.  I know, I lived it AND have the photos to prove it.  I slimmed slightly as a teenager and really worked on my health as a college student.  Then, I got hit with Lyme's Disease (read about my struggles with Lyme's here) and slowly, the weight crept back on.  Then I graduated and, wow, I became larger than ever.  But, thanks to a lot of hard work (diet and exercise) I lost quite a bit and really wound up being quite proud of myself.  When all was said and done, I lost (and maintained) approximately 45 lbs.  Here's  a post about when I hit my 35 lbs mark.

So, you might be wondering, what does this have to do my husband and the surprising thing he said to me?!  Well, a lot, in fact.  We talked about how in my life before Hubby, Bonus Babies, and Little One; it was easy for me to loose (and maintain) 45 pounds, because that was what my life was really centered around.  I went to work.  I went to school.  I went to Weight Watchers and I spent time at my gym.  My friends all were either from work, Weight Watchers, or they gym so they all were well aware of my goals and how I was working to achieve them.  I lived with someone who was OBSESSED (in an unhealthy way, in my opinion) with being fit and he expected me to have the same level of obsession.  While I didn't appreciate this, it did make it much easier to stick to my goals.

Hubby listened intently as I explained this all to him.  And then I began to explain the rest.  When Hubby and I got together and I became Step-Mamma to Bonus Baby 1 and 2, my plate became more full.  It was easier  to focus on me before all of this because that was who I had to focus on.  My life, while it seemed full by many, was very empty at the time.  Working on ME was a great distraction from the monotony of how I was living and the relationship I was in.  Suddenly, when I became a part of Hubby and Bonus Babies' world, focusing on my looks (and yes, ultimately my health) just didn't seem like such a big priority anymore.  I loved the idea of being a Step Mamma and I spent a lot of time working hard to foster a good relationship with Bonus Baby #1 and #2.  I loved the idea of being a wife and I spent a lot of time being with Hubby and doing things with him and his friends.  Slowly, as time went on, I attended less Weight Watcher meetings and got less exercise.  And slowly,  some of my original weight loss crept back on.    Then, I got pregnant and the rest of my weight loss crept back on.  So, now I am sitting back at square one and, while it is frustrating to an extent, I would not trade this for anything.

I said this all and then I said, with a sigh and a sob, "If you want your hot (his words, not mine--LOL) wife back, something is going to have to give."   Now, this is where Hubby says the most amazing words to me.  He said, "When you're on your maternity leave, let's look at your schedule.  Let's figure out where you can make time for yourself.  We survived before you came to us and we've gotten so used to everything you do for us.  But, it is important for you to make time for you too.  That is good for you and it is good for us."

While this might not seem like such an amazing thing, to me it was.  It was because it gave me permission to let go.  I could let go of trying to do so much and take the time to focus on my health.  While being "hot" at some point time is a great goal, my real goal is to feel good in my own skin again.  To not have such a difficult time climbing stairs (I forgot how that felt until I became pregnant), to be able to keep up with Bonus Baby #1 and #2 (and Little one when she gets big), to be able to enjoy my horses and not have a tough time lugging around hay bales. . . the list is really endless.

So--those of you in relationships: does YOUR significant other ever say things that AMAZE you?  

5 comments:

  1. Sweets, I think you mean "the darnedest things."

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-) You're right! Pregnancy spelling! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll never forget something my ex said to me once-- I was getting ready to go out for a drink with a friend. I turned in front of him, to show off my new dress, and he said, "I like it. It gives you a waist."

    Yes, he meant it as a compliment-- but jeezus!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pregnancy spelling-- funny! You should do stand up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL--now THAT is funny (me doing stand up)!

    ReplyDelete