Thursday, December 27, 2012

Happy Holidays!


I hope everyone had a super holiday season, no matter what you celebrate!  This year has been a challenging one at our home.  Finances have been tight and that made holiday time a bit stressful and, at times, less cheery.  However, we had an excellent few days of family togetherness and gift exchanges.  Husband and I had to get a little creative this year, but it all worked out.  The kids seemed to enjoy themselves and little one on the way even received a few gifts!  Bonus daughter and son insisted that we should put up a stocking for little one this year, even though she hasn't been born yet.  I do regret that we didn't do this because it was fun to see their joy in wanting to do something for their sister.  Husband and I told them little one has already received so many presents (thus a whole room full of things for the baby) that she didn't need a stocking this year!

Now, I'm back to work (today includes a "full" day of filing, putting together book boxes for some of the agencies I partner with, finishing a grant report, and conducting one parent education class).  Have most of you returned to work?  On my days off, I've used my time to start my taxes, get paperwork organized for the new year, and start organizing little one's room.  I guess I must be nesting!

I've started looking into the process of taking out a GRAD PLUS loan to pay for the remainder of my Ph.D program and I am getting the family finances in order for the new year.  Considering the amount of educational debt I have at this point, I am really reluctant to take out more, but it appears this will be the only way I'll be able to finish my particular program.

I am determined to start making some headway on the debt we've racked up from business start up and figure out some other ways to keep us ahead on our bills.  Yes, we're budgeting.  Yes, we're using a spending plan.  Yes, we've cut out excessive spending.  It's been a challenge, but I feel good about knowing we're chipping away at it little by little.  We're really thinking "thrift" when it comes to planning for little one--we're going to use some cloth diapers to cut down on costs,  making our own baby food when it comes time for that, and we'll be making our own baby wipes.  I wish I were crafty enough to try making my own cloth diapers (the all in one style. . . but I'm not so handy with a sewing machine).

So--what do you do to save on cash?  How do you pinch your pennies?


No comments:

Post a Comment