Monday, December 10, 2012

You know who you are!

You know who you are.  You are the people who have been there for Hubby and I during this very, very, very aggravating year.  You have lifted us up during some pretty rough patches and we hope that someday we'll be able to repay your generosity with as much grace and understanding as you've given.  There are many of you, and I won't name names, because that can cause a certain level of embarrassment to some, but do know we are so very grateful for your kindness, your compassion, and your helpful nature!

When folks act selflessly it makes me take a step back and look at my own life.  What have I done lately to make someone's day?  Did I take the time to make sure others around felt appreciated? Cared for?  Listened to?  Have I taken the time to give the sort of gifts that truly matter--being there when someone needs me?  I hope I have, but I often wonder if there is more I could do.  More I could give of myself?

This year has gotten me thinking about next year and what promise 365 new days might hold.  There will be a new addition in our home.  We're all anxiously waiting for her.  We're hoping the series of unfortunate events that has struck this year will have worked themselves out before Little One arrives. . . .or at least will be well on their way to turning a corner into the positive.

These next 365 days bring hope of getting the Ph.D. back on track.  I'm so close I can taste it and I feel driven to finish, so I will continue that quest to pinch pennies as much as I can and get creative.  A colleague at the University feels that I am compelled to do research so she has declared that I must finish so I can start studying children and families!

When I think about hope for the future, I'm not talking about New Year's resolutions per se.  I'm really thinking about tackling life little by little and striving to do better as a human.  I see too much tragedy around me to not make the most of the life I have been given and that is certainly something I want to instill in the kiddos.

What are your hopes for the next 365 days?  Has someone shown you kindness?  Generosity?  How will you let them know the impact they've had on your life? What will you strive to do better?  

No comments:

Post a Comment