Friday, December 14, 2012

It's a sad day


It is a sad day in the world.  Now, I know what some of you are thinking. . . you're thinking I'm referring to this horrible tragedy.  Well, I'm not.  I'm referring to another friend of mine, barely married a month and now filing for divorce.  She really thought she knew the guy she was with and then *BAM* something changed or suddenly emerged.  Divorce is something I have a hard time understanding.  Don't take that to mean that I believe I'm better than others.  I mean I just don't understand it.  It doesn't make sense to me--at all.  One would think I would have a better understanding of divorce since part of my job includes working with divorced parents and helping them parent together, even though they are no longer with each other.  But, I don't.  It breaks my heart when I hear of people getting divorced.  Heck, it saddened me when I heard my now husband and his ex-wife were getting a divorce (I was friends with one of his brothers).  Of course, now, I'm reconsidering THAT particular sadness  but, you get the drift.

What is it our society that leads to so many people breaking such an important promise to each other?  Yes, I get the obvious answers: people change, cheating, drug/alcohol abuse, marriage too soon, marriage to young, etc. But, I guess what I really wonder is what is the real reason?  I mean, is it that people are not truly clear on what they want?  Is that people don't know their spouse as much as they thought they did?  Or is it that the important things in life just differ too much between each person?  The way I see it is that the divorce is really a symptom of a bigger problem.  What do you think?  What is the real problem?  Why do so many people get divorced?  Is the idea of marriage "dead" in our society?

No comments:

Post a Comment